Let Us Love...

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for one another. How does the love of God abide in anyone who has the world's goods and sees a sister or brother in need and yet refuses to help? Dear children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action. 1 John 3:16-18

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Joining the Upcoming Delegation

We have been making preparations for a CPT delegation of 12 that is coming tomorrow. A delegation is a group that comes for about 2 weeks to see the situation, to join in some of CPT’s work, and to report back what they see/learn to their home communities. Some delegates end up coming to work here longer. Since I have not previously worked or lived in Palestine & because I have not been on a delegation here & also because I feel a little unprepared to work here (meaning I feel like I do not know as much as I should), I am going to join the delegation for the next week. We will be meeting with lots of different Palestinian, Israeli, and international organizations. It will be a good chance to get to some of the other folks working around this area and to learn about their specific roles. We will also go down to the village called At-Tuwani where CPT also works and we take part in some other projects, some of which the delegation will plan.

If you’d like to say a prayer for me personally, I’d really appreciate your prayers that I would be more flexible… Although I was having visa issues, I was still hoping/expecting all to work out and to go to Iraq (which still may happen before the end of the summer or it may not happen at all). I want to be in Iraq so badly (though I agree that it is a good idea for CPT-Iraq to engage in as much discernment and research as necessary before sending more team members. But that still does not keep my heart from longing to be in Iraq.) I cannot explain the connection that I feel to that country and to all of the lives there. I love Palestine and remain indignant and brokenhearted over the situation here. & the need for peace & justice here is definitely no less than the need for peace & justice in Iraq. When we are on the streets or engaged with people, I am totally present here. But... in the evenings or when I read some news of Iraq, I want to be in Iraq. I don’t know why that is. & I feel guilty for having part of my heart in a different place than my body. Each day I’m feeling more and more connected to here and that is a very good thing. If you so desire, please pray that I would be more open and flexible- that I would continue to hold Iraq in my heart with Palestine, but that I would hold them both while joyfully living wherever I am.

If you would like to read weekly (delayed) updates or writings by other folks working with CPT in Palestine, you can go to www.cpt.org, click on Palestine in the left hand side and follow the links to join the Palestine email list. You can do the same thing to join the Iraq or the other projects’ list serves.

Peace & love to y’all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i wrote that on your yearbook.

6/05/2006 1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home